Cindy Kleiman, CDA, RDH, BS
Your Professional Speaker on Oral Health for the Medically Compromised Patient
ORAL CARE FOR THE MEDICALLY COMPROMISED PATIENTS
The nursing profession has the responsibility for total patient care
with oral care being an integral component. Unfortunately, many in the nursing field have not had enough practical education to feel confident in this area. This course is designed to raise comfort levels and guide individuals working in hospitals, extended care facilities or home health care to deliver quality oral care to their patients.
General medical conditions and disabilities will be addressed, or a program can be customized to meet your needs. An example would be training in oral assessments in a nursing home setting.
Medical conditions and disabilities that can be covered include:
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Hospice/Comfort care
- Multiple Sclerosis
- NPO Care
New oral health products are constantly being introduced into the marketplace. The participant will learn which products will benefit their patients. Additionally, techniques and advice will be offered to enable the provider to render easier, better and quicker oral hygiene care to their patients.
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Cindy Kleiman, a dental hygienist, is well known throughout the country as a pioneer in the field of oral care for patients with disabilities . She founded a comprehensive hospital-based dental department that meets the needs of medically compromised patients.
For 8 years Ms. Kleiman educated dental hygiene students at Phoenix College on the oral care of medically compromised patients. Clinical settings for this program include extended care facilities, special education schools, and private homes. Currently she teaches Oral Medicine as an adjunct faculty member at the Phoenix College Department of Dental Programs; she also works in private practice treating geriatric patients. Ms. Kleiman is
the author of numerous articles and other publications on the the medically compromised population.
For over 15 years Ms. Kleiman has been in demand as a speaker to the healthcare professions. She has the expertise to teach your health care workers how to provide the best oral care knowledgeably, effectively and efficiently.
- Oral hygiene for the homebound patient
- Effective oral care in home health and nursing homes
- Oral hygiene made easy for the special ed child
- The occupational therapist and oral hygiene
Comfort care for the terminally ill
- Oral assessments and care
- Senior citizen oral hygiene seminars
- Define a range of satisfactory oral health
- Recognize oral symptoms associated with specific medical conditions
- Identify which oral hygiene products are appropriate for the patient's care
- Provide suitable care to improve a patient's oral health
ADDITIONAL SERVICES AVAILABLE
- Policy and procedure evaluation
- Patient/family education
- Health fairs
- National Speaker's Association
Academy of Dentistry for Persons with Disabilities
- American Dental Hygienists' Association
- Arizona State Dental Hygienists' Association
- Editiorial Board, RDH Magazine
1984 ASDHA Unique Access to Care Award
- 1990 Outstanding Phoenix College Alumni Award
- 1996 ASDHA Unique Access to Care Award
- 1996 Arizona Dental Public Health Award
- To health care providers caring for disabled patients
- Program development and implementation of oral care assessments for extended care facilities
- Adjunct Faculty : Phoenix College
- Clinical dental hygienist in private practice, with emphasis on geriatrics
- Oral Health Homebound Program with the Arizona Department of Health Services
- Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine at Good Samaritan Medical Center